lunes, 20 de febrero de 2017

Starting the Journey

When people get into exercise,  they seek sometimes unreachable goals. This doesn't mean that you should not strive for a 400 lb squat or a six pack. Depending where you are at with your training, getting to those goals takes time and a lot discipline. I like to call training and fitness as a journey. This is not because I am trying to be metaphorical about this, but because in a way it is.

My fitness journey started three years ago. I just had got back from a hangover and I truly felt like crap. Although I was an athlete in college, I did not feel like an athlete. I couldn't run more than 3 miles or do more than 10 push-ups. I wanted to look lean, strong and have more stamina. Just like any guy out there, I wanted to have a good looking body. I was hesitant to start, because in the past I got those episodes of "I will get a six pack this year!" but then the results were futile.

This time, it was a bit different, I changed my approach. I started to focus on the small things I could not. I realized that push-ups were hard for me, so that is where I started.  I would go out and do 100 reps everyday and that was my workout for two weeks. Then I started to add different types of push-ups and air squats. Three months later, I going to the college gym to lift weights for the first time. I was no longer focused on looking good, but more doing the things I couldn't.

My body was changing without me obsessing over it. My goals were different every month. One month I would go and focus on getting better on my squats or learn how to do pull-ups. Nine months after starting to train I noticed that finally my six pack was coming out. The best part was is that I did not focus on it and when I got there I just wanted to train more. That is the pitfall on some people's training. They set this goal and once they reach it they stop trying.

Once you reach that target, chose another one and get there as well. Never stop improving!

This is why I tell people that are starting their journey to focus on the short term goals. So if you are out there planning to start your fitness journey or are already a couple years of training I recommend to focus on those short term goals. This way, the goals will seem more reachable and next thing you know you will be doing things you never thought yourself to be capable of.

Stay Real!

No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario